Anxiety is something I have a very on/off relationship with… and although I didn’t technically chose this relationship it’s one I can’t shake and have to find new ways to deal with.
Anxiety is experienced differently by everyone, but I know that however that when it is experienced, it is absolutely CRAP. I also know that there are billions of posts about anxiety, I am writing this in the midst of my anxiety at the second, so this is more of an outlet, and if it turns out well then I’ll post it.
Anxiety is something that has the power to get in the way of the simplest parts of life, in ways that some people who haven’t experienced it may not quite understand! It can really creep up on you when you least expect it to, AND SOMETIMES THERE’S NO OBVIOUS REASON FOR THE ANXIETY! Just like right now, I’m all anxious and if someone were to ask me why, I wouldn’t be able to say why!
*this is where i stopped festering in my anxiety and went and sat with a friend but i’m going to continue*
I have come up with a list of top tips (WAHOOOOOOOO) for you while you feel anxious.
- Take a couple of deep breaths, pay attention to the movements of your body and stay in the present, thinking about nothing other.
- Talk to someone, or if in doubt just cry it out, don’t withhold any emotion. Bottling up emotions is a risky, and unnecessary thing to do.
- Hug someone you love
- Have some chocolate
- Sit with friends or family
- Go and do some exercise
- Say a couple of positive affirmations to yourself
- Take a hot bath or shower
- Accept your feelings and thoughts, let them be present but don’t chase after them, just as you watch the fast train go past your platform, let it come in and then go – following it would only be dangerous. Know that it is okay to feel these things and that you are never alone, even if you feel you alone, there is always someone you can talk to!